Monday 17 March 2014

Classic Monsters Design #3: Medusa

Just about finished Medusa. This was certainly one of the more interesting ones, as least regarding some of the initial designs, and I'm personally quite proud of how the final concept turned out.
 Design sketches for Medusa
As you can see, I experimented with quite a few ideas here. The first few (seen around the top-left) focussed on different variants of the classic 'ogre'-like Gorgon, but later designs started to explore the snake aspect more. One or two designs saw her as literally a mass of serpents. I also explored some interesting variants of how her face and head could appear.

The final design, as you can see, is still largely based on the naga-esque design made popular by Clash of the Titans. However, unlike a traditional naga, which has a woman's upper body and a serpent's tail, my Medusa's anatomy is more akin to a massive snake with arms, with her serpentine hair reimagined as a 'mane' of snakes. She also wears a mask to hide her hideous appearance, perhaps as a vain attempt to retain what little humanity she has left...
As I said before, I'm proud of how this one turned out. In particular, I'm happy with the scale texture, especially considering that, unlike with Cthulhu, I actually painted it as opposed to overlaying and existing texture. Her colour scheme is also based on the colour of real-life venomous snakes (contrary to popular belief, they are not all green; most are various shades of brown).

Next up is the final monster for this project, the Devil himself...

No comments:

Post a Comment