Saturday 8 March 2014

Classic Monsters Design #2: Cthulhu

Took awhile to nail down a design, but I've now finished the redesign of Cthulhu.
The main goal with this redesign was to try and make this eldritch god-thing look more alien; most depictions of him tend to go for the typical 'green humanoid with a squid-head' look and I wanted as far a departure from this stereotype as possible.
 I started with basic sketches on paper, as always. Just simple outlines to base the design on, each based on some variation of the vague descriptions provided by the source material. I also took some inspiration from the appearances of various cephalopods (octopi, cuttlefish, squid, etc.) and the creature designs featured in the films of Guillermo del Toro
Once I had enough basic designs, I found there were two that I particularly liked, so I decided to develop them both (as you can see from the sketches above). This left me with finalised designs from a quadraped and a more squid-like Cthulhu; feeling that it reflected the Great Old One's nature more, I opted for the latter design.

And here we have the final design. Not really much to say about this one; after all, the design kind of speaks for itself. One thing to note, however is the wings; here, they are more like massive fish fins, which kind of fits Cthulhu's aquatic nature. I also used a few texture overlays with this one. Personally, I'm happy with the results.

Next up, Medusa the Gorgon

No comments:

Post a Comment