Tuesday 18 February 2014

Sonic Redesign mk. II and Sonic Boom Reaction

As I mentioned at the end of the Sonic redesign post, I wasn't completely happy with what I'd created; the overall design was fine, but a few elements were a bit... off. Anyways, Josh agreed and he encouraged me to do another version, which you can see below
As you can see, I kept the general look and anatomy of the original redesign, but instead added blocky, more angular spikes as opposed to the more realistic 'comb-brush' look from before. I also used a more cel-shaded style, which in my opinion worked a lot better for the design. Overall, this one turned out a lot better than the previous version.

Now, while we're on the subject of Sonic redesigns, there has been a recent development within the industry itself that I think I should give my thoughts on...
As many of you will have heard by now, SEGA have recently commissioned a new Sonic TV series, complete with a tie-in game for Wii U and 3DS, titled Sonic Boom. The new project will apparently act as some kind of reboot to the franchise, but the things that has turned the most heads is the fact that many of the main characters have undergone some rather drastic redesigns (see below)
Image Source: http://assets.vg247.com/current//2014/02/sonic-boom22.jpg
So, you ask, what are my thoughts? Well, honestly, I'm all for a reboot of this franchise. Truth be told, Sonic could really benefit from a refresh and considering the team working on the game are all supposedly former Naughty Dog and Insomniac, I think we could be in for a treat.
As for the new designs themselves, I'm okay with most of them. Tails and Amy are largely the same, albeit with a few extra accessories to fit their roles/ personalities. Even Sonic himself doesn't look too different, but most of the changes made are alright; I like that his spines are more ruffled and the neck scarf is a nice little addition. I'm even okay with the fact his arms are now blue; it's a minor detail and it really doesn't take anything away. That being said, he's still way too lanky and whoever added the bandages clearly went overboard.
However, the main concern is Knuckles; he looks like he's been binging on steroids and... well, I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it does add a bit of diversity to the body types and it does fit his role as a brawler. On the other hand... might be just the promo render, but it kinds looks like they just plonked Knuckles' head on the 'roided up body. I dunno, it might be just because its such a drastic change, but it just looks a bit off. Who knows, maybe it'll grow on me in time...

Anyways, that's enough Sonic. next up is the final redesign; Samus Aran from Metroid

No comments:

Post a Comment