Tuesday 14 January 2014

Character Redesign #1: Mega Man

It's been awhile since I posted something. Most of November was spent writing essays, and I spent most of the Christmas holidays with friends and family. Even so, I've managed to get some artwork done for my redesigns. First one up is Mega Man.
Mega Man is a classic game icon from the earliest days of gaming, originating from the same era as Mario. He is a robot created by a benevolent scientist who frequently combats the robotic soldiers of the dastardly Dr. Wily. His games are notorious for being incredibly difficult.
In regards to Mega Man's design, his most recognisable features are his helmet and arm cannon, although his enlarged limbs also count to a lesser extent. His blue colour scheme is also pretty identifiable.

Design sketches for the redesigned Mega Man

And here's the redesign itself. As you can see, I decided to make him more robotic than his original design, since he is supposed to be a robot anyway.
Overall, I'd say I've managed to do a pretty good job with this one (if i do say so myself), but most importantly it retains the 'look' of the character.
Next up is Master Chief from Halo.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry but that is bad, really bad, and I do not mean your ability to draw or anything, but rather the design, its supposed to be Megaman right? This "redesign" of yours is basically a retarded monkey-skull thing in a helmet.

    ...Worst I have seen, "its a robot anyways" maybe, but... So many reasons its wrong I dont even know where to start.

    ReplyDelete